Our Historical Roots And Growth

West Valley Medical Center is one of the leading hospital facilities and employers in the State of Idaho. This 150-bed facility is nationally accredited and has been part of the Hospital Corporation of America (HCA) family since 1975.

Hospital’s Historical Timeline In Caldwell

1920 Caldwell Sanitarium established by three physicians in the “Dorman House”
1945 First meeting took place for the Caldwell Memorial Association Fund to discuss fundraising efforts to build new facility and convert Caldwell Sanitarium to Caldwell Memorial Hospital
1948 Broke ground for construction of hospital – named in honor of men and women who served in the armed forces in World War II
1950 Caldwell Memorial Hospital opens its doors as a 75-bed, short-term acute care facility
1969 Kaley Medical Training Center added to the hospital
1973 Hospital Corporation of America (HCA) begins to investigate the possibility of operating the hospital
1974 Caldwell Memorial Hospital Association votes to sell facility to HCA
1975 Caldwell Memorial Hospital is purchased by HCA
1976 Ground is broken for a new replacement facility
1977 Patients move to new facility, which is the current 150-bed hospital
1987 Name changes to West Valley Medical Center
1995 Hospital becomes part of Columbia/HCA
2000 Partnership with Saint Alphonsus to open Caldwell Cancer Center
2004 New medical office building breaks ground on campus
2007 Saint Alphonsus - West Valley Medical Center Health Alliance forms in hopes of integrating health care services into a more seamless system that improves patient care, reduces costs and makes more efficient use of resources
2007 Hospital finishes remodeled, expanded Emergency Department
2007 New Sleep Lab opens
2009 Hospital unveils bigger Day Surgery area
2009 New Women’s Imaging Center offers digital mammography, other services in spa-like atmosphere
2010 West Valley Medical Group opens Nampa Clinic just off I-84
2011 Grand reopening of the renovated Diagnostic Imaging Department, featuring logistical and aesthetic improvements
2011 Demolition of Critical Care Unit begins. Completion of expanded, improved department set for 2012.
2011 Stroke partnership forms between West Valley and Saint Alphonsus Regional Medical Center
2011 Idaho Surgery Center becomes a campus of West Valley
2012 West Valley breaks ground for a four story medical office building at the corner of Elm & Fairview Streets in Caldwell
2012 Hospital unveils expanded and renovated Intensive Care Unit
2012 Dedicated 11-bed Ortho/Spine Unit opens
2013 Grand opening of new Nuclear Medicine Suite, featuring the only GE Discovery 630 in Canyon County
2013 Partial Hospitalization Program opens for patients struggling with chronic mental illness
2013 West Valley Medical Group expands its Wilder Clinic to meet growing need in the community
2013 Ribbon cutting of West Valley Medical Complex, the new tallest building in Caldwell
2014 West Valley breaks ground on $3 million expansion of the cardiac eletrophysiology catheterization lab
2015 West Valley breaks ground on $6.25 million expansion and renovation of its surgery department, adding 2,771 square feet of operating and recovery
2016 Ribbon cutting and grand opening of West Valley's new cardiac eletrophysiology catheterization lab, the first of its kind in Canyon County